The Office of Natural Resources Revenue (ONRR) serves as a trustee of royalty assets from Indian trust properties and as an advocate for the interests of Indian mineral owners by:
- Accounting for and auditing royalty obligations on the Tribes' behalf.
- Coordinating with:
- BIA to comment on lease bond requirements, IMDA agreements, and appeal decisions.
- BLM on lease inspections and production reporting.
- BIA and BLM to implement and modify regulations concerning tribal mineral revenues.
- OST on tribal mineral revenues and reporting.
- Educating and assisting Tribal leaders and departments about royalty revenue (how much you get, why you get it, and the accounting process).
- royalty and production reports to detect errors and problems.
- the timeliness of payments.
- Obtaining tribal input on mineral revenue policies and processes.
- Performing compliance reviews and/or audits of Tribal leases to verify that royalties are correctly paid.
- Responding to requests and invitations to attend tribal government’s regional meetings to discuss: ONRR processes, explain systems, and answer questions about reporting information and financial statistics.
Tribal Self-Control and Self-Determination
ONRR promotes Tribal self-control and self-determination over trust lands and resources through:
Intergovernmental Personnel Act Fellowship Program
The Intergovernmental Personnel Act (IPA) Fellowship Program offers participants the opportunity to gain job knowledge and skills in the following areas: audit, compliance, accounting, and other minerals management functions. IPA Fellowship Program internships are managed though the State and Tribal Support Office within ONRR.
The Tribes and ONRR may enter into a Cooperative Agreement under the Federal Oil and Gas Royalty Management Act of 1982. Cooperative Agreements allow the delegation of specific responsibilities to Tribes, such as conducting inspections, audits, investigations, and enforcement activities on Indian lands. Cooperative Agreements are managed through the State and Tribal Support Office within ONRR.
Click here for FIMO Staff and related contacts.