Appeals & Sureties
If you receive an order, demand, or Director decision, you should seek legal advice because either one may adversely affect your rights. Generally, appeals rights are set forth in the specific appealable document that ONRR issues.
The information provided here is for your convenience and is no substitute for legal advice based on your situation. The following are links to Federal or Indian royalty appeals regulations:
How to Appeal
30 C.F.R. Part 1290 30 CFR Part 1290
- An ONRR (or delegated Tribe) order to perform a restructured accounting
- An ONRR (or delegated State or Tribe) order to report and pay
- An ONRR demand
- An ONRR (or delegated State or Tribe) order to report
43 C.F.R. Part 4, Subpart E 43 CFR Part 4, Subpart E
- An ONRR order to perform a restructured accounting for a Federal oil and gas lease
- An ONRR or BIA Director decision
Past, issued Director decisions are available through Gower Federal Service, with subscriptions available through the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation.
To view Interior Board of Land Appeals decisions, click here.
How to Suspend Performance during an Appeal of an Order to Pay
Follow the Surety Instrument Posting Instructions for requirements to file one of the following:
ONRR Appeals Program
Denver Federal Center, Bldg. 53
PO Box 25165
Denver, CO 80225
Appeals of ONRR, BSEE, and BOEM Orders, Decisions, INCs, NONCs, and Penalty Assessments: What Do I Do Now? — Presentation for the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation (01/2013)